Are you intimidated by social media? I was talking to a client recently who's job was PR and communications for a local government department. He had years of experience and expertise - but had zero with social media and was amazed that I knew 'so much' about it. He was scared of it - scared of making a mistake, of putting 'too much out there' or of finding himself (and his organization) inadvertently in the middle of some scandal because of a social media slip up. Quite frankly, he and his organization were opting out of the biggest communication channels in the world because of fear.
Now I don't consider myself a social media expert in any way shape or form but I do know the basics. AND I know someone who IS an expert and can translate it for the rest of us.
Meet Holly Worton who helps heart centered businesses use social media in an effective, safe and real way. (you know, I'm using the coachy form of real here.)
See for Holly it's not about numbers, platforms, followers and likes - it's about connection. Real, honest to God, human connection. And that's right up my alley. Resilience is all about connection and social support so I was fascinated to know how social media can help with this.
So in this week's podcast Holly and I get down to the brass tacks of all things social media - not only for those running business but for those working within organizations too. We cover:
- Is the online world a dangerous place and how can we protect ourselves from things like trolling?
- How to know where to draw the line between appropriateness and TMI (Too Much Information) online.
- How to use social media to form professional connections and build a network of peers and like minded people from all over the world
- How to network online
- How you can avoid making social faux pas and ruining your personal reputation (you'll like this one!)
- How you can find a social platform that suits your needs even if you're a total newbie
By the way - there's a LOT of laughter on this podcast. Holly and I had a blast and her humor in infectious.
Connect with Holly
Holly's Website SociallyHolistic.com has a great blog with lots of free tools and tips for upping your social media game. She also has a number of free courses you can access including Social Media 101, Build you Facebook Tribe and Build Your Twitter Tribe
Listen in here: